Favorite Gear of 2009

I'm not sure I'd necessarily say I'm obsessed with gear, but I definitely have a lot of it, especially when it comes to hiking, backpacking and climbing. I put a lot of thought into the purchases I make not only because outdoor gear and clothing tends to be pricey, but because I need it to last and keep me safe. I think I made some great gear decisions this year, and would like to share some of my favorite things!

Marmot Gravity Jacket


I always know I can count on Marmot to make exactly what I'm looking for. I added this jacket to my outerwear collection because I wanted a shell I could wear climbing, something between a winter jacket and a windbreaker, and could also wear to work. I've had it for quite a while now, and have definitely put it through it's paces, including daily walks to the office and the #jtreetweetup. I wore it almost 24 hours a day during the Joshua Tree trip, and as if by magic, if never really looked dirty! It's sleek looking, easy to move around in, durable and most importantly, warm. The fleece interior is supersoft, and although the exterior doesn't make the jacket waterproof, I've never been soaked in it. I also have long arms, and find the sleeves are the perfect length. The fit makes for great layering, too. ($150 on rei.com Photo courtesy of Eileen Ringwald).




Camelback Helena Hydration Pack

As a guide for TerraMar Adventures, I typically run climbing and hiking events. They're my two favorite things! This summer, I needed a pack that could hold enough water for a day hike along with everything else I need to lead hikes: extra layers, my first aid kit, snacks, and maps. I had trouble fitting it all into my old hydration pack. I love Camelback stuff in general, and this female-specific pack came with all the features I needed. The largest pocket is large enough for the full 100 oz. reservoir, my first aid kit, a rain jacket, and any other clothes. The smaller pocket can accommodate snacks, my cell phone, and other items with plenty of room. I love the additional water bottle holder, too! It was definitely designed with a woman's form in mind - the sternum and waist straps are in exactly the right places. There's even a small pocket for sunglasses on top. I keep finding new features of the bag every time I use it! ($49.93 2008 overstock on rei.com).


Scarpa Techno Rock Shoes


Anyone who's ever climbed anything knows that how your shoes fit can make a huge difference in how you climb, and how comfortable you are! Fit will be different for everyone, of course, but quality seems to be universal. I bought these after I blew through the toes of my La Sportiva Mythos shoes in a matter of months, and love them. These fit me like a glove and they're great all-around shoes. They've performed well in all sorts of situations - edging at the gym, slab and crack climbing for three days in Joshua Tree, heel hooking at Livesey Rock, bouldering, and just standing around. They're snug, but not too snug, and have not stretched in the several months I've worn them. I've heard amazing things about Stealth rubber, but the Vibram XS has served me well so far both indoors and out. I was pretty impressed with the results of this climbing rubber test, too. I wear a women's size 10 and bought these in a size 40, they're a perfect fit. And I was surprised to see my climbing partner, Nina, bought them too! ($129 on rei.com)


Smartwool Midweight Top

I bought this t
op for the second time when it came up on Steep and Cheap several months ago figuring I might as well stock up on one of my favorite layering shirts! I somehow can't seem to get cold with this shirt on, even though it's only a midweight baselayer. But my favorite part of this top is where Smartwool placed the seams; Smart wool indeed! The shoulder seams are in just the right place to avoid chaffing or skin irritation when I've got a pack on, and the side seam placement makes the top quite flattering. The length of the sleeves is perfect for my 6' wingspan, (even though I'm only 5'8"). The first of these tops I bought lasted through a winter in Alaska and several backpacking trips, but was no match for my kitten's claws, sadly. ($75 on rei.com)

Novara Divano Road Bike
Now I'm no cycling expert, and don't pretend to be, but when it came to choosing a road bike, this was definitely right for me. I needed a bike for the City to Shore ride and enough time to get comfortable riding it. Buying a road bike is a big deal, and I got to the point where I'd exhausted all research options and was limited both by time and my budget. REI to the rescue! I did my homework, asked twitter friends for advice, badgered the poor REI bike salesmen to death, and finally settled on a bright red Novara Divano. It has a carbon fork, Tiagra shifters and Tiagra/Sora derailleurs, which were among my required specs. I chose a non-gender specific bike because it fit, but definitely see the merits of a women's-specific bike. The men's saddle was uncomfortable until I got used to it, and might invest in a women's saddle next year. The only down side I found was that the pedals aren't of the highest durability, but I plan on replacing those with clipless pedals at some point. It's a great bike for the price, and perfect for recreational cycling. The best part - the bike went on sale shortly after I bought it, and REI refunded the difference! (2009 model out of stock, 2010 model $849 at rei.com)


Ibex Shak Glove Liner

I love, love, love Ib
ex, and knew when I was looking for the perfect liner glove, Ibex was where I needed to look. I love Ibex not only because of the quality of their products, but because of their message as a company. I bought these to wear around town and as ski glove liners. So far, they're perfect - warm enough to wear on their own, but still fit snugly under my gloves. They're longer than other liners I've used and come several inches up past my wrist, which will help keep the snow off my skin during ski season. I'll put them to the test in January when I take the EMS Climbing School 3 Day Accelerated Mountaineering class, but for now, they've passed! I bought a medium and might get a small if I buy them again, they are unisex. ($35 on ibexwear.com)

Joshua Tree Products


I was ecstatic
to hear that Joshua Tree Products was sponsoring the #jtreetweetup and providing us with all sorts of stuff to test out! I tried the Healing Mint and the Desert Shimmer lip balms, and put them both on what seemed like every hour over the course of three days in Joshua Tree. Both worked great, and the Desert Shimmer made me feel a little less dirty and a little more cute than normal on a climbing trip! I love that it looked nice and slightly girly, and actually worked! Highly recommended over any lip balms I've ever bought at the drug store. Of course, I tried out the famous Joshua Tree Climbing Salve as well, designed to heal fingertips after a rough day on the rocks. I'd used it before after climbing indoors and loved it, but the salve really made a difference after climbing on gritty JTree rock. (Lip balms $4-5, salve $5-15 on jtreelife.com)